Kupuna Pono is a program designed to help families talk about difficult issues and develop plans to support elderly family members.
- Every family wants the best for their elders
- Every family eventually has disagreements regarding elder care and support
- Family disagreements cost everyone in time, money and emotions
Family conflicts related to caring for an elderly family member impact everyone in the family. By providing a process for families to address their issues and simultaneously incorporate the recommendations of medical personnel into a customized plan:
- Families are more quickly able to agree on appropriate next steps to support their elder member including transitioning from medical discharge to home or assisted living
- The doctor/patient working relationship is strengthened
Family Conferences & Mediation
Family conferences and mediation offer elders and their families the opportunity to talk through sensitive issues with the assistance of impartial facilitators and mediators to create custom family plans that meet the unique needs of the elder and other family members.
Helping families design their own plans around the recommendations and resources provided by healthcare professionals enables families to:
- Quickly develop a shared understanding of medical recommendations, special needs and resources to initiate discharge plans and next steps
- Reduce stress about the safety and welfare of the elder, as well as other family members
- Strengthen family relationships as they work together to support the elder
- Empower the elder to express their desires and participate in the decision-making
- Share a comprehensive family commitment to care for the elder at home
To schedule a mediation or facilitation session for your family to come together and develop a plan with and for your elder member, call 521-6767.