1975 – Ph.D., Interdisciplinary Social Science (Sociology), The Union Institute
1970 – M.S., Community Development, University of Missouri
1966 - B.A., English and History, Roosevelt University
Additional training and certifications in:
Inter-Cultural Communication (Stanford University, 1976)
Principles & Practices of Mediation (Neighborhood Justice Center of Atlanta, 1979)
Natural Resources Conflict Management (ROMCOE Associates and Minerals Management Service, 1981)
Environmental Conflict Resolution (Lawrence Susskind, 1981)
Commercial Arbitration (American Arbitration Association, 1992)
Community Mediation (Edith Primm, 1980)
2012-Present: The ACCORD3.0 Network, Principal and Founder
2003-2011: The Keystone Center, President & CEO
2000-2004: The Accord Group LLC, Partner
1992-2001: Hawaii Justice Foundation, Executive Director
1985-1992: The Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution, Supreme Court of Hawaii, Director
1979-1985: Neighborhood Justice Center (NJC) of Honolulu, Executive Director
1977-1979: United States Air Force, JAG Department, Public Defender and Circuit Prosecutor
1971-1977: East-West Center, Director of Participant Services
1971: Kapi‘olani Community College
1966-1968: Peace Corps Volunteer
- “Advanced Negotiation and Non-Routine Problem.” Matsunaga Institute, University of Hawaii. January, 2012; May, 2013; September, 2013, May 2014, January 2015.
- “Constructive Engagement for Public Controversies” – Edinburgh, Scotland. Workshop on new consensus-building strategies for public policy problems with John Sturrock of Core Solutions. 2013
- “Collaboration Strategies for the Public, Private and Civil Sectors.” (with Professor Kem Lowry). Department of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Hawaii. January, 2013.
- “Expectation and Regret: A Look Back at How Mediation has fared in the U.S.” Keynote Speech at the 7th National Conference of the Civil Mediation Council. London, May 2, 2013.Also at http://www.mediate.com/articles/AdlerExpectationandRegret.cfm.
- “Multi-Stakeholder Processes and Water Governance.” Keynote Speech and Training Workshops for the Singapore Meeting of the Consensus Building in Asia Project. February, 2010.
- “The Keys to the Kingdom: Getting Our Heads Around Environmental Leadership” – Speech in University of Oregon’s “Fireside Chat” Series to faculty and students on Environmental Leadership. January, 2010.
- Multiparty Facilitation - University of Queensland, Melbourne and Brisbane Campuses, 2009.
- The Future of Mediation (or the End as We Know It), Justice Institute of British Columbia, 2009
- Guest Lecture, Public Presentation and Masters Class, Woodbury Institute of Champlain College, 2009.
- The Soul of the Great Team: Heart, Mind, Unity. A teamwork training program developed with Jon Crowder that uses percussion instruments and facilitated dialogue to help launch, accelerate or celebrate needed business partnerships.
- National Congress of American Indian - Advanced Executive Training on Negotiation and Conflict, with John Echohawk, NARF.
- “Stakeholding and Risk Communication.” Workshop for NASA (with Janesse Brewer and Patrick Fields).
- “Eye-of-the-Storm Leadership.” Two-day course delivered in Honolulu and in other settings. (with Robert Benjamin).
- “Keystone Leadership Forum on Sustainable Development.” Workshop for corporate leaders presented three-times annually (with Sarah Stokes).
- “The Art of the Deal: Advanced Negotiation Skills.” Two-day course delivered in Honolulu and Sydney.
- “The Art & Craft of the Mediator.” Two half-day programs provided to court mediators for the State of New Mexico, Second Judicial Circuit.
- “Everyday Leadership.” Management training for The Lanai Company.
- “Conflict Management for Managers.” A one-day seminar presented annually for 10-years
- at Bank of Hawaii.
- “Conflict Management.” In-house staff training for Oleo, Community Television.
- BHP, Inc. Design and implementation of beginning, intermediate, and advanced in-house negotiation seminars.
- "Managing Conflict for Growth: The Art of Preventing and Resolving Unnecessary Conflict." Training workshop for Hawaii Insurance Consultants, Ltd. Company meeting, November 1995.
- First Hawaiian Bank. Design of an internal mediation system to handle grievances and personnel disputes.
- Continuing Education course on "The Instructor as Facilitator" for Hawaii Real Estate Research and Education Center, 1995.
- "Managing Conflict: A Workshop for Community Organizers." Presented to the Queen Liliuokalani Children’s Center.
- "The Art of Assisted Negotiation: An Intensive Mediation Skills Course.” (20-hour training program offered periodically by The Accord Group).
- "Intensive Facilitation Skills Course." (20-hour training program offered periodically by The Accord Group).
- “Collaborative Problem Solving for the Native American Grave Protection and Repatriation Committee,” Bishop Estate/Kamehameha Schools.
- University of Hawaii
- --Planning 627, Negotiation and Mediation for Planners, Department of Urban and
- Regional Planning (Annually since 1986)
- --Alternative Dispute Resolution, William S. Richardson School of Law
- Annual Training Courses for Panel of Mediators at Center for ADR, Hawaii Supreme Court, 1985-1992.
- Annual Training Courses for Neighborhood Justice Center of Honolulu, 1979-1985.
- “ADR for Court Professionals.” Developed and delivered through the Institute for Court
- Management, Denver, Colorado (with William Drake and Holly Bakke)
Recognition & Memberships
- 2014. Board of Directors, Environmental Mediation Center, Vermont.
- 2012. Assistance with the formation of the Asia-Pacific Mediation Center
- 2011 “Planner who Made a Difference,” Department of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Hawaii.
- Advisory Board, Low Carbon Earth Summit – Dalian, China Oct 19-26, 2011.
- ADR Panel Member, National Electricity Market of Singapore.
- Affiliate Faculty, Matsunaga Institute for Peace, University of Hawaii.
- Western Justice Center Foundation’s “Collaborations in the Urban Environment” Appointed to Advisory Council.
- IUCN - The World Conservation Union, Commission on Education and Communication, 2005-2008.
- Interview and Profile - “Dispute Resolution Meets Policy Analysis, or Native Gathering Rights on Private Lands: A Profile of Peter Adler” by John Forrester, Department of City and Regional Planning, Cornell University, 2004, at http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/practicestories/COLL_Planners.htm
- Adjunct Professor, University of Hawaii, Department of Urban and Regional Planning and Department of Sociology.
- 2002 Peacemaker of the Year, Church of the Crossroads, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- President’s 2001 Liberty Award, Hawaii State Bar Association.
- 2001 Visiting Fellow, Policy Consensus Center, Hatfield School of Government, Portland State University.
- Robertson-Cunninghame Scholar in Residence, Earle Page College, University of New England, New South Wales, Australia, April, 2000.
- 1999 Senior Fellow, Western Justice Center Foundation, Pasadena, California.
- 1998 President, Board of Directors, Society for Professionals in Dispute Resolution,
- Washington, D.C.
- Elected member, Social Science Association of Hawaii.
- Member, Honolulu Media Council.
- Senator Daniel K. Inouye Community Service Award, American Psychological Association, 1992.
- Justice Achievement Award, National Association for Court Management, 1990.
- Public Policy Award, Mental Health Association, 1989.
- Award for Excellence and Innovation in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Center for Public Resources, 1988.